20 May 2009

Look, Ma! I'm on TV!

ok... not tv exactly - but this is still pretty cool.

Even though I only sat in for one tune, my getting to play in with my friend (and Randy Bandits keyboardist) Russ's group, Russ Kaplan+6, was one of the highlights of my musical year to date. In addition to getting to add some texture (and an 8-bar solo!) to Russ's super-sexy arrangement of Radiohead's "The Bends", it also meant that I was on hand to watch the third gig for what is seriously one of my favourite groups in NYC right now.

Choc full o' funky and jazzy dreamscapes that straddle the great divide (and somehow find all the common ground) between Radiohead and Charles Mingus, Russ and his crack team of musical assassins premiered the first act of his as-yet-unstaged ballet based on Homer's Odyssey at Monkeytown earlier this month. While I am usually (and often unnecessarily) down on all things Williamsburg, the people at this cool new venue really got it right. As if the restaurant out front's adventurous menu (I had Kobe, Ostrich, Wild Boar, and Elk sliders after the gig) were not enough, the performance space in the back boasts high ceilings, a huge projector screen on each wall, and futon-like full-service couches that surround the performers completely. This place is super cool and I was lucky enough to play there with some other musicians who are well out of my league.

So why all the exposition? Oh yeah! One of Russ's friends videotaped (though I am guessing there was no actual magnetic tape involved) the entire performance and posted it over at his blog. I urge you to put aside an hour and watch and listen to this entire performance, but for those of you who are either impatient or related to me, you can let the video load and then fast-forward to just shy of the 53-minute mark to see my little part. You can also click through the link above to see a larger version in all of its HD glory. Enjoy!

Russ Kaplan Plus 6 May 5th 2009 from Nicholas Whitaker on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment