01 January 2009

The Randy Bandits

I met Lucas Weiss in 1995. He introduced me to Chris Cummings later that year. They had gone to high school together. Chris Cummings introduced me to Russ Kaplan when I moved to Brooklyn in 2002. They had gone to college together. At the time, Russ was playing piano and singing with a new, small group called the Tree Frogs. One night, after a dance show in Williamsburg put on by Russ and Chris's friend (Russ was providing a quasi-improvised score with nothing but his Farfisa Organ), I told Russ that if he ever needed a bass player for his new band, he should call me. He said they didn't need one because his left hand was a force to be reckoned with. I forgot the conversation. ***time elapses*** Some time in early 2003, Russ called me and said that the new bass player for his band (I KNOW!), which had been renamed Jim Knable and the Randy Bandits, was going to be out of town for a big gig and asked if I would like to learn 26 songs in two rehearsals and sit in with them. I said OK. I learned the songs. I met Jim and Stephen and Regina and Spiff. On the way to said big gig, Jim Knable (the band's leader and songwriter), obviously impressed with my ability to play bass and learn tunes, asked me what other things I played in a fashion that seemed to imply that he would like to keep me on once their regular bassist returned. I humbly mumbled some nonsense about electric guitar and singing and stuff. We played the gig. I wore sunglasses. I took a 16 bar bass solo consisting of one note. Soon thereafter, I became a Randy Bandit.

Over five years and multitdinous configurations of our lineup have passed. As if stands now, I play electric guitar and (ocassionally) percussion or mandolin and sing both backing and (ocassionally) lead vocals. Jim writes great tunes and we play the hell out of 'em. You could easily call us "roots rock" or "country soul" or any number of other genre descriptions. I gave up trying a while ago. We do a great live show and are about to release our second full-length album, Golden Arrow.

I am sure various other info about my tenure with "the bandits" will unfold as this blog progresses, so for now you can check out our website for all sortsa goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment