18 May 2010

The end of an Era.

As you may or may not know, I played my very last show with the Randy Bandits on May 1 at a private party thrown by/for Bandits' bassist (and one of my oldest friends and musical soul brothers) Jay Buchanan's family. It was the end if a 7+ year run with one of the greatest group of musicians and friends a guy could ask for. If you wanna read about my getting my start in the Bandits, you can read an old post about it here. Rather than try to pour over things I have already poured over and write stuff all over again, I will just go ahead and cut and past the simple explanation I send out to my mailing list back in March. Here 'tis:

After nearly 7 years of playing with the Randy Bandits, I have decided to call it a day. I have had the time of my life playing with the various shady and nefarious characters who have slipped in and out of this band of musical marauders over the years and have learned more about music from these guys and gals than from any other group of players I have ever worked with or studied under. It's been a journey worthy of 14,000 valedictory speeches and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it seems to have run its course for me; but like so many Bandits before me, I walk away knowing that I have left my mark on this ever-changing organism of a band. To be clear: there's no ill will here. The guys in the band right now are my brothers and I thank them sincerely and immensely for being so understanding and supportive of my decision. It's just time to step aside and watch the Randy Bandits from the same perspective you all have had the privilege to share over the years. I look forward to standing next to you all in the audience at a Bandits show in the future and toasting the band for the magic they make.

If only for completeness's (or vanity's) sake, here is what Jim Knable, the fearless and stalwart leader of the Randy Bandits had to say about it:

Fandits, Tonight's gig at Hank's Saloon in Brooklyn (3rd and Atlantic Ave, 10pm) is a historic one as it will be Chris Murphy's last official New York gig with the band (he's still playing with us in New Jersey for a party in May). Chris Q. Murphy has been with the Bandits since another historic gig we did back in 2003, a gig at the Triad where two of the Bandits met their future wives and Spiff magically found a trumpet mouthpiece backstage when he was missing one. Since 2003, Mr. Murphy has contributed greatly to the Randy Bandits sound, style and substance. He put his personal vocal stamp on "Sally Ann" and "Romeo, You Gotta Go"-- both of which are preserved for eternity on our albums REDBEARD and GOLDEN ARROW. He co-wrote, along with myself and Russ Kaplan, the music for "What You Believe" (also on REDBEARD) and contributed greatly to many song arrangements (including the horn arrangement on "Loraine"). Starting in the band as the bass player, he moved to electric guitar in 2007 when his childhood friend Jay Buchanan took over bass duties. As a guitarist, Chris created many memorable parts, especially on GOLDEN ARROW. His work in the production studio is heard on tracks from REDBEARD ("New Zealand" and "Catalyst") and on the entirety of GOLDEN ARROW, where he served as mixing and mastering advisor to Bryce Goggin and Fred Kevorkian. Many of you who have known Chris as a teacher, friend and collaborator know that he works tirelessly and is always ready to offer strong opinions-- something he has done for this band now for 7 years. Chris let us know that he was moving in a new direction recently and we've all been very supportive. As with legendary Bandits from days of yore, Stephen Aleman and Regina Bain, Chris will always be with us in spirit, continue to stay with us in the arrangements he's helped create and will more than likely show up from time to time as a guest star. We'll miss him in the band, his energy, his great talent and his motivational work ethic. Join us tonight as we celebrate both Chris' birthday and his lasting Randy Bandits legacy.

I was literally welling up with tears a little bit as I read that. Those Bandits are on classy crew. SO! I thank all of you who have come out to see me and the Randy Bandits over the last many years. It has been fabulous to have had your support all this time and hope to see you out at Chris Q. Murphy & The Fiendish Thingies and The Whistlin' Wolves shows in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment